Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Carbon Monoxide Bill To Be Signed Into Law Today

Gov. Bill Ritter will sign into law today a bill that requires all homes placed on the market and all apartments to have carbon monoxide detectors installed in them.

HB 1091, which is called "The Lofgren and Johnson Family Carbon Monoxide Safety Act," will be signed at Denver Fire Station No. 10, 3200 Steele St., Denver at 3:30 pm.

The measure was inspired by the deaths last autumn of Parker Lofgren, 39, his wife Caroline Lofgren, 42, and their children, Owen, 10, and Sophie, 8 in an Aspen-area rental home that was not equipped with carbon monoxide detectors and by the death in January of Lauren Johnson, 23, a University of Denver graduate student, in a rented apartment not equipped with such a device.